How to Find Us:
Google Maps

St. Paul Lutheran Church History

St. Paul Lutheran Church was organized early in March 1871. The original church building was dedicated in the fall of 1871. On January 16, 1880, the church was incorporated as the German Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul's Church of Postville, Allamakee County, Iowa.

The Original Church building became too small, so the decision was made to erect a larger church building. the present church property was purchased in 1883. That same year the first parsonage was erected. Work on the new church was begun in 1890. On November 22, 1891, the new church building was dedicated. The three bells and the clocks that were installed at that time are still in use today.

On October 11, 1896, the Ladies Aid Society was organized. This was the founding organization of the Women of the ELCA.

A new parish hall was built (the current music room) and was dedicated on May 16, 1926. That same year, the chancel was revuilt, pews were installed, and new art glass windows were installed. In 1941, work began to completely rebuild the sanctuary inside and out. The newly completed church building was dedicated on July 19, 1942. Although World War II made life very challenging for all, the debt incurred for the building project was retired just three years later on June 10, 1945. The attached parsonage was built in 1953, along with a new fellowship hall (the current space for Paul's Place). In 1962, the house to the east of the church was purchased to be used as a second parsonage. In 1963 the current fellowship hall and education wing was dedicated.

On May 31, 1987, a new Dobson pipe organ was installed in the chancel. The organ consists of 23 stops, 28 ranks, with a total of 1,436 pipes.